Historic Rose Mont, which is owned by the City of Gallatin, is available for weddings, meetings and other events.
Rose Mont, built by Josephus Conn Guild, is a successful blending of Greek Revival and Paladian design in a rare tripartite design. It has handsome colonnaded galleries coupled with a two story pedimented portico and is recognized as one of Tennessee’s outstanding Greek Revival houses by the National Register of Historic Places.
The builder, Josephus Conn Guild (B. 1802 – D. 1883) was an outstanding Tennessean. Attorney, author, orator, soldier, legislator, thoroughbred horseman, Judge and builder of Rose Mont, Jo Conn Guild’s contributions to the life of Tennessee were as significant as they were varied. He was a part of the important period of shaping of the United States.
He opened a law practice in Gallatin in 1822; served in the General Assembly as a Senator and Representative; achieved the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the Seminole War; began his career as Judge in 1860. He co-owned thoroughbred horses with Balie Peyton and William Harding, racing them throughout the South.
Notable guests entertained at Rose Mont include James K. Polk and Andrew Johnson.Rose Mont had been continuously occupied by the Guild family since the 1830′s until acquired by the City of Gallatin with assistance of the Rose Mont Restoration Foundation, Inc. in 1993.
The Rose Mont Restoration Foundation, Inc. was organized to restore, preserve and interpret the life and home of Josephus Conn Guild. You are invited to become a member and share with us this opportunity to complete restoration and maintain this significant historical treasure and recognize an outstanding Sumner Countian.